Foods to Eat After Addiction to Help Detox The Body

After the initial withdrawal following addiction, the body is often malnourished with a build-up of harmful toxins stored in the cells. This is why when an addict is in recovery and is ready, they should pay attention to their nutrition so as to provide the body with the energy and nutrients it needs to heal itself. Following a healthy diet in conjunction with taking vitamin and mineral supplements that will target an addict’s specific deficiencies can not only help detox the body after addiction, but also help an addict get through the early stages of their recovery.

Repairing Your Body After Addiction
For many addicts, the most important nutrient to pay attention to is protein which helps the body repair the tissues that need it, as it repairs its cells and restores its organs. Healthy sources such as eggs, chicken, fish, and nuts are heavily encouraged, especially at the beginning of the recovery program. Healthy dietary fats can also go a long way at this stage of recovery, and can be found in foods like fish, nuts, and avocado, in addition to oils like olive, flaxseed, and coconut oils.

The specific nutrients necessary to help an addict in recovery will vary depending on the type of substance abuse in question, but daily vitamin and mineral supplementation can do a great deal to ensure that they are getting the nutrients they need.

Targeting necessary vitamins and minerals and ensuring adequate intake of proteins and fats can help an addict detoxify their body while in recovery, but it is not necessary to spend too much time or energy on this aspect of the recovery program; simply eating balanced meals at regular times each day can help an addict be more successful and restore their body back to health.

• 67 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • I think it's important to reiterate what you said in your last paragraph about making sure to eat balanced meals at regular times each day - this is very important, especially if you're going to use such a diet as you have suggested which is so rich in protein.  In fact, if they were recovering from addiction to a substance such as Meth or Amphetamine I would, in that case, advise them to avoid a diet like this at all costs, or to make sure they eat plenty of bananas too, as the effects on the body (i.e. the crash) won't become apparent until the user has stopped taking it and even then it may take some time for the effects (or consequences) to kick in.  Dehydration caused by Meth(amphetamine) usage, combined with a high-protein diet consisting of eggs, chicken, fish, nuts, etc and supplemented with vitamins, could be a perfect combination for calcium stones and seeing as Meth(amphetamine) destroys the kidneys anyway, this could potentially be lethal.  For that reason, anyone following these recommendations would be wise to regularly drink water and plenty of it and to eat at least one banana each day.
  • Drinking hot water with lemon every morning is very effective in detoxifying your entire body.  Also, it's a good habit if you will get used to the taste of lemon water because it is much more cleansing as compared to usual plain water.  It's also very easy to do, just slice a lemon and a slice or two to every pitcher of water.  You can put this in the water jug and bring it along with you to work so you have access to it anytime.
  • My mother has begun using some brand of detox tea, I forget the specifics but I do know that it has lemon and not much else in it. I'm not sure if it's helping her yet but I definitely hope so.
    I think that even if you aren't recovering from an addiction, a detox can be nice :-) I have done the lemon and hot water thing that wander_n_wonder mentioned. It didn't taste bad, either. I've also done that, but added mint leaves. Tasted very nice and made me feel good as well.
  • I think what Androl highlights it is really key to get sound medical advice regarding withdrawal effects and having an adequate diet to ensure the correct nutrients are being provided. Hydration I agree is a big focus, and hydration is not only ensuring adequate fluids, but other electrolytes and minerals such as potassium mentioned above. 
    Definitely go with either supplementation or a diet rich in a variety of fruits and vegetables. Probably at first vitamin supplementation is easiest and then by monitoring your nutrient intake you can reduce supplements as you begin to eat adequate vitamins through your food.
  • Food that's detoxing the body is the same after an addiction then before. A lot of vegetables, fruits and overall healthy stuff is never wrong. Drinking a lot of water is also critical (or some things like tea how DietOwl mentioned are helpful too. ) Another thing that is supposed to help a lot when detoxing the body would be going to a sauna and sweat these toxins out.
  • I think that medical advice is precious, but there are some things that can help. For example plenty of water. More, make some aloe juice, it will help detox really fast. 
  • The idea of sweating it out is a good one.  The toxins come out of your body as you sweat. a good detox cleansing tea will help also.  Lots of liquids and sleep will help the body repair its self.
  • Drinking water helps the body to naturally detoxify through flushing out stuff. I'd also focus on foods that help the liver and kidneys with flushing toxins out of your body since they're your body's filters. Damaging your liver or kidneys lowers your life expectancy because they're so crucial to helping keep your body healthy. 
  • I believe proper diet is the key factor to be observed for any recovering addict.Proper supplements and vitamins will go a long way in invigorating the body.Physical exercises can never be over emphasized as one will need a strong body to counter the ill effects of harmful toxins that are still inside the body.
  • I believe a healthy lifestyle of proper nutrition while adding supplements to your daily routine is a great way to live and prosper with health and wellness in mind.
  • Later that night, I crept down the street, avoiding the tanks the rolled down the streets. I open the door to the house carefully, avoiding any creaks. I don’t want anyone waking up to see that I am robing our ‘saviors’. I sneak steadily down the hall, looking for anything that I c
  • Thank you so much for posting this. I honestly wasn't aware that in recovery, it was important to take in more protein to restore the body's organs. I would have guessed the part about restoring energy in us, but I never would have guessed that it helped our organs, so that is really great to know!

I totally agree with the vitamin and minerals part as well. I've actually read about how vitamin deficiencies such as B and B12 can cause mental health issues, and since mental illness coinsides with addiction, I wonder if there is a relation between addiction and vitamin deficiencies.
  • I recently discovered the power of acai berry in detoxifying the body.  There are 2 options available in the market, one is in a tablet form and another is liquid.  There's no need to worry as these are usually all natural.  What it will just do is give you a regular bowel movement, where you can get rid of toxins in the body.  It may be uncomfortable at first, but later on, it will just feel like a daily routine.  It will totally make your entire body feel so cleansed.
  • I think this is good information for everybody, not just recovering addicts. Your body can get used to junk food and sugar, and this also becomes an addiction. The advice here is sold dietary advice, and should be followed by everyone, but especially those on the road to recovery. They should make this the base of their new life diet.
  • Coconut oil is becoming a lot more popular these days so that's good to know it aids as a detoxification for the body. I feel that the saying is true, when you eat better you feel better. When I am fueling my body with wholesome, nutritious and healthy foods I feel healthier, more fit, and just more energized overall. I'll have to incorporate the foods listed more - I already do eat most of them, but if I can make even more positive changes that's got to be a good thing.
  • Great thanks to the OP for providing sound medical advice.  The truth is that there is no way to ´detox´ the body.  As the OP said, the best way is to just eat well balanced meals and make sure you are getting the RDA of vitamins, minerals and sufficient amounts of protein.  The other part is to stay well hydrated. 

Whenever you hear someone talking about a specific product that helps ´detox´ the body, challenge them.  Ask them ´which toxins´ ....ask them by how much will their product lower those exact toxins and where are the tests that can measure those results.  Most of the products on the market for detoxing is just snake oil.
  • My health will benefit from adding more detox superfoods to your daily diet. There are many great superfoods with detoxifying properties, but here are my top 12 picks.  And, they’re delicious too.
    Avocados—lower cholesterol and dilate blood vessels while blocking artery-destroying toxicity. Avocados contain a nutrient called glutathione, which blocks at least 30 different carcinogens while helping the liver detoxify synthetic chemicals.
    Cranberries—have powerful antibiotic and antiviral substances to help the body cleanse harmful bacteria and viruses from the urinary tract.

•  The bottom line is you must eat foods that are nutrient rich, so foods lower in fat and that have a lot of lean protein are always good. Also I agree with the balanced diet statement because once you are back from addiction it become more necessary that you get health and stay that way forever.
  • These are great diet tips in general, but I can see how it’d be especially important in such a recovery phase. Interesting about focusing on protein. And definitely focus on real, whole foods; avoid anything processed. I believe fruits are thought to be especially cleansing overall. I’m also a fan of herbal teas and warm water/lemon. All these tips combined are sure to aid in the healing process.
  • All what you've mentioned is actually great for the body, I have changed my diet to a lot of chicken, avocado and nuts and it really helps my body, but it also helps my mental health somehow. I have found that these foods that contain natural healthy fats really help and it's desirable for the body and it's also a replacement for bad addictions, I really encourage anyone battling addiction to try these foods and focus on their diet, food is an essential part in recovery and it really helps. Thank you for sharing. 
  • Blueberries and lemons are awesome foods to eat to detox your body. They build up your metabolism and they help get rid of all of the unwanted chemicals that are trapped within your body.
  • Drinking Green Tea is a great way to detox without getting major headaches because it still has a little bit of caffeine in it. You can add slices of the citrus fruit if you want the extra de-tox that some have mentioned above. It can be drunk hot or cold and if you drink a couple liters a day it will flush everything out!
  • I do drink a lot of water and I think that is something that a lot of people are not drinking enough of.  Of all the wonder diets and drinks out there that people are trying to make money off of you.  Water is the number one source for detox.
  • Eat plenty of fiber, including brown rice and organically-grown fresh fruits and vegetables. Beets, radishes, artichokes, cabbage, broccoli, spirulina, chlorella, and seaweed are excellent detoxifying foods. Cleanse and protect the liver by taking herbs such as dandelion root, burdock and milk thistle, and drinking green tea. I also had a friend tell me to take vitamin c as it helps detoxify the liver. I also concur with many of the posters here.. WATER, WATER, WATER is your friend!
  • The body can heal itself.  You just need to sop feeding it unhealthy food and substances.  Drink a lot of water and eat organic and fresh foods.  No processed foods and GMO ingredients.  That pretty much covers it.
  • I think simply suggesting water and a healthy diet is trivializing the issue somewhat. It clearly is not as simple as drinking water and eating clean food. I agree, both of them are great for your body, but substance abuse changes your physiology in such a way that neither are desirable and a simple change in diet is exceptionally hard to achieve.
  • To IrishHeather, who mentioned Chlorella, I have to bump that.  Chlorella is a staple in my diet.  I've also heard good things about oil of oregano.
  • RHill,  that really is only true with certain drugs and only to a limited extent.  There aren´t any foods that will detox your body, but every day that you live by eating healthy foods and drinking lots of water allows your body to naturally recover from any damage you caused.  The secret is that there is no secret, everything you should be eating are the things we´ve been told we should be eating since 3rd grade.
  • wander_n_wonder   I'm actually trying to do that every morning. I'm not that good keeping that kind of routines though, but I'll really try it this Sunday. I've heard that lemon water has an alkalizing effect in the body, and that makes it impossible for cancer cells to thrive!  So in my opinion it really is worth trying this natural remedy.  I read that if you drink this lemon water warm it's even better!  It's supposed to help with digestion and liver function.
  • Berries
    are the best! They restore vital nutrients and help kill that hangover.
    Also drink plenty of water and go on a short walk. Strawberries work particularly well from my own experience.
  • I would like to add that there are foods that one should not eat after addiction. These include junk food and anything with large amounts of sugar. Sugar can have devastating effects on the body and is also quite addictive. I have seen many people give up drinking only to start eating sugary food all day long.
  • I've been drinking tea ever since I quit. It give a lot of health benefits. I personally drink oolong tea and green tea. I recommend you guys to try drinking tea everyday. 
  • There are countless of herbal concoctions that a friend had recommended when a relative was recovering. Yes, detox is it. But I cannot comprehend that herbal drinks can really help because the focus of recovery is staying away from the vice. Maybe it is more of the lifestyle of eating habits that can affect detox process than what is ingested. Addiction is always mind over matter... according to the psychologist in the rehab center.
  • Fruits, vegetables, whole grains and other sources of fiber are ideal foods to eat post-addiction. A person who regularly eats fibrous foods detoxes frequently and we're all aware that detox will wash out the addictive substances and toxins from one's body.
  • Getting hydrated by drinking water, green tea, and black tea etc. is a very good start to detoxing the body.  I would say to eat a well-balanced diet and lots of fruit and veggies along with lean meats, chicken and fish.  Just getting back to a good sensible diet would be great for someone recovering.  Try not to make it too complicated at first, just the basics works wonders.  I think that once a person starts eating healthier their mind will be clearer and their body stronger.
  • Juices: Prune Juice, Ginger Juice, Lemon Juice, Cranberry Juice, Carrot Juice
    Fruits: Blackberries, Strawberries, Mangos, Kiwi
    Proteins: Lentils, Black Beans,
    Sauces: Miso Glazes, Pesto

• cranberries, prunes, prune juice, carrots and celery, but the best is always water. a drink i use is a mixture of lemon juice a drop of pure maple syrup and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper on the top. it is pretty gross but after 3 days of drinking about 8 ounces a day, you will feel wonderful. :)

• These few things work right off the back and fast:

cranberries, prunes, apple cider vinegar, and water.

Water is actually the most essential of all detoxes.

• Tropical fruits usually due the trick when it comes to assisting in the cleansing of the body.

But then again, any fruit that is fairly acidic and juicy do just fine
  • Fruits the belong to the citrus family are good for this.

Oranges, Lemons, Limes, Pineapples, and Grapefruits are among that list.

• I know we have heard about how good vegetables are for us but this is very true. Vegetables provide nutrients and vitamins that help our body and they can really help if a person is recovering from an addiction.
  • How about cabbage? In addition to cleansing your liver cabbage will also aid in helping
    you go to the bathroom, which in turn helps you expel the toxins,
    getting them out of your system so you can start fresh. Cabbage juice contains particular substances in it that help heal a damaged stomach and liver.
  • Berries, tea, and a ton of lemon water. Not just when detoxing from a drug/alcohol, but when needing to help the body along after any bump in the road. I load up on the good stuff whenever I start feeling sluggish or my eating has been off par.

• Thanks for all of this information, it's definitely good knowledge for me that I can forward to people I know that are after addictions and need to give some improvement to their diets.
  • Many a produce and fruits such as berries helps a lot! I know that if you drank too much, bread could also be used to soak up extra alcohol that you have drank which is a nice trick to learn. I bet many already know about it though.
  • @tbatro I agree, I really think foods and fluids like those really helped me gain my health back pretty quickly after a nasty flu a couple of months ago. And I too give it a little extra if I think I’ve been a little neglectful about good eating.
  • I think it is very important post. Everyday i do drink 5 to 6 liter water. I thing that's enough for a man. Afterall thank's for this post.
  • Eating healthy is important, but excessive protein or fluid intake does not do any good. Your body simply will not use anymore protein than it needs. Overdoing it on either protein or fluid can be hard on the kidneys.
  • I have tried drinking some hot water and lemon in the morning. I have read that it helps to detox and helps clean out the liver. Doe anyone do this? I also eat a lot of berries and take antioxidant pills. They do make me look younger! 
  • A great way to help get protein in your body in the morning when is one of the peak times of the day you need it, is through protein powders and shakes. Quest protein makes a salted caramel protein, when I mix that with almond milk and almond butter and ice, it seriously tastes like a candy milkshake! And it has little to no sugar, keeps you full for 3-4 hours and helps burn fat at the same time. Your gut health is directly related to your brain and body health!
  • I've heard of hot lemon water being a good way to make yourself feel better. Sadly, toxins aren't a real thing, but it's always a good thing to recharge your body after addiction. Making healthy choices after all is said and done is going to bring in huge benefits for healing your body.
  • this thread is excellent! great input from everyone and makes me want to do a fresh detox myself! thanks everyone!
  • I totally agree on eating a balanced meal for detoxification during recovery. Protein, as you stated, is important for the formation of new cells. For toxins left in the body, I also believe in the power of antioxidants such as citrus fruits and tea. With free radicals flushed out of the cells and out of the body, the body is detoxified.

• I would be hesitant of just accepting this as fact. There isn't much data to back up an additional need to detox the body other than eating a normal healthy diet. Verify any thing you read online about it with a doctor please.
  • When people are addicted to a substance they will often forget to eat properly, this is the time to give your body an extra boost. The right food can make you feel stronger both physically as well as mentally.
  • This is a great piece and your body usually knows what it needs during detox. I have found that after I go through periods of drinking a lot or just eating like crap, I start to feel horrible and start to crave different foods and drinks that end up making me feel a lot better in the end. I end up craving large amounts of fruit juices or certain types of meat or something depending on what it is that my body needs at the time.
  • Lots of fruits and water is doing the trick for me. In the past my diet was very unbalanced, but currently I'm trying to eat as healthy as possible in order to help my body detox.
  • Very good information. Water is always a great choice for anything!
  • Raw beet or beet juice can work wonders for someone who drank a little bit too much during his lifetime. As you probably already know, excessive alcohol consumption tends to attack the liver in the long run. 

This organ is essential for the body and it has tremendous regenerative properties once one stopped drinking. Beet as well as lemon juice can help the liver eliminate toxins and impurities which will lead to a flourishing health and a happier life!
  • I like to drink cranberry juice because it flushes out your system. It is delicious and not over sweet. Cranberry juice is the best thing to drink in order to maintain good urinary tract health and can kill of the yeast that travels through your body when you do stuff like drink alcohol.
  • I agree with you area51. Cranberry juice, in my honest opinion, is definitely a staple in my diet, and it should be one for addicts. I also eat a lot of fruits and veggies. To improve my overall health in general, I've given up alcohol. Cranberry juice and other detoxifying drinks do the trick for me, and they make my system feel healthy for sure.

• Once I was addicted to chewing tobacco. My addiction started when I began to have a regular gathering of friends who were taking chewing tobacco. I became a newest member of tobacco addict. After trying many years to give up addiction, I finally resorted to cold turkey method. However, staying clean for a long time was difficult. Water, lemonade and green vegetables helped me a lot.
  • Eating rich and healthy does help recover faster. Combine that with a good workout regimen and a person will have enough endorphins in his body to forget about any other substance for sure.
  • There are some good foods to eat to repair our bodies from damage. Fruits and vegetables are definitely something that we need to include in our diet. They're healthy, loaded with vitamins and minerals and have amazing benefits to our skin, eyes and overall physical health. For example, carrots and cantaloupe carry vitamin A which is essential for our eye health. Asparagus and broccoli with vitamin B, necessary to convert food into energy. Other healthy fruits and veggies like spinach and bananas also play their role maintaing our nerve and muscle health as they contain lots of potassium.

Not to mention the amount of antioxidants and nutrients that many of these healthy foods provide, necessary for the correct functioning of our internal organs, like the heart, the liver and gallbladder. Antioxidants are also good for our eye and skin health.
  • Has anyone ever tried an all water diet/masters cleanse during recovery to try and detox the body?
  • Hey, great article! Detox is extremely important for a healthy weight loss journey. And there are quite a few things you can do to stimulate detox in your body. Take a look at this video:

• This one offers a number of natural alternatives for substance abusers hoping to recover: http://www.findhomeremedy.com/best-home-remedies-for-drug-detoxification/. There are a number of remedies that are easy to prepare. Ingredients are also accessible.