Sober for 12 days

I had been a social drinker in my 20's, carried into my 30's. I would have a drink or two during the week. When I got married and had son, I drank only on special occations and date nights with my ex husband. I had my 1st DUI a year before we decided on divorce. It seems to me now that the more I struggled with life and happiness..the more I drank. Now, divorced for 3 years..I picked that habit up ten-fold. I started going out and enjoyed the night life. I started playing pool, (I joined 2 leagues) started smoking cigarettes. This has been my life outside of work when I don't have my son. Fast forward to the end of September..I recently got my 2nd DUI. Smack. I am now on pre-trial house arrest with a SCRAM bracelet on (per my lawyer's advice, as this may ease the final punishment decisions) I basically was forced to quit drinking. At this point in my life, I was drinking almost every day. 12 days ago I said goodbye to alcohol, although it feels like one month had passed. I can't believe I didn't go through any withdrawl symptoms. The day after I would drink, in the morning I had the shakes. Since I had stopped..no more shakiness. I feel clearer. I sleep better. All is good so far. I came to this site to get some support and read what others are going through and how they are doing. The only thing I really miss is my social life. I miss pool league. I go to work, come home, and get my son on my scheduled days. That is my life right now. My moods are up and down. I do realize that this happened for a reason. It was time to wake up and start treating my body with respect. I am turning 40 this month..so this will be a journey to remember and reflect on. Looking forward to some support here and connecting with others that share alcoholism as their demon.
  • 12 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Good morning @emmarie, welcome. Sorry to hear about the troubles in your life, but it sounds like you are on the right track with beating your alcoholism monster. It might seem tough now, but trust me, it will get better.

You came to the right place for support and information on your journey off the Dark Path of addiction. There are lots of folks with similar experiences and struggles. I'm sure they will stop by and say hello.

What I'll start with is don't worry about missing the pool halls and the social life. In my recovery, I learned that the things I truly enjoyed, I would enjoy EVEN MORE with just a soda instead of alcohol. With my video gaming, I thought I was a good drunk player, but once I got sober, I really shined in the games I played. You might find pool is the same way. And, if you find you don't like pool anymore, what that means is you never really liked it, it was just an excuse and an enabler for the drinking. In time you will find other things that you enjoy, and you will get more satisfaction out of them since your mind won't be clouded with the alcohol. Tough as it may be, the same goes for the people in your life. You might find that the people you used to hang with are insufferable clowns unless you are drinking. It might require finding a new social circle, which will be different, but probably not bad in the end.

Keep the faith!
  • @emmarie hello and welcome! thanks for reaching out! so glad you have stopped drinking... regardless of how you got to that point, you now can live life sober and free....

i agree that there are many opportunities to find social events that you may enjoy.  and maybe you can still play pool one day...sober. you'd be surprised at how many of those you played pool with probably want to be sober too.... many functioning alcoholics out there. you can be that light that gives them hope.

or, you can find new social things to do. look at meetup.com and see what's going on in your community... lots of groups doing things. take up a new hobby. make a list and try new things... 

so glad you are here. hope you will keep journeying with us!
  • @enmarie... Welcome to the community and thank you for sharing your situation with us. I'm sorry you've had to go through some tough times, but I'm super proud of you for being sober for 12 days. You are making a positive change in your life that will not only be a great thing for you, but for your son, too. 

That old saying that says "Life begins at 40"? Maybe it's true. Maybe this is the start of a wonderful new life for you. 

Take things a day at a time. And know that we're here to help and support you any way we can.

Sending you lots of hope and encouragement, my friend. :)
  • @emmarie this is wonderful news! thank you for the update and i'm so glad you are feeling so optimistic! you CAN do this!!!!

:)

have a beautiful weekend. we are here anytime!
  • @emmarie, see? You can do it! Just like that scene in A New Hope where the doubtful Luke puts on the blast shield blindfold, and Obi-Wan is so confident that despite Luke's uncertainty, Luke will be successful. Despite your own misgivings, as long as you have faith, and trust in yourr self, you can do it.

That is also great that your captain came over to check on you and knock you out of your funk a bit. That is the sign of real leadership and a true friend. As you progress on your journey, safety nets will be critical. A good one is here, but having them in real life is even better.

Keep the faith!
  • Glad to hear you're finding inner peace, @enmarie! And I'm happy that our comments made you smile. Remember that we're here for you anytime you need help, support, or a place to get things off your chest.

Have a great week!!
  • Thank you everyone! I am amazed at how much better I feel physically and mentally. The only thing that I can do without is this darn sweets craving! I have not had a desire for chocolate like this in years. I am physically fit and do not have a weight problem...but I am concerned for this new craving. Is this normal? I feel like a kid again wanting something sweet after a meal or in the evening.. between after dinner and bedtime. Last week I laughed at myself because I actually bought a milkyway candy bar..I don't think I had one of those in 20 years. 
  • Ah, thanks @deand for the totally sciency explanation!
  • Wow, thank you @Leaker, @dominica and @DeanD. I appreciate the positive feedback! I am finding an inner peace with this "new" life. Although I do miss the old. Every day it's getting a little easier. I do have a pool table..was too depressed to shoot for the first two weeks. Then..surprise, my pool league captain came over the other day to visit and we shot some pool. I shot so well, it was like I hadn't taken a break at all. I am convinced that I don't need alcohol to help or enhance my skills. Once again, thank you all for the encouragement! It was nice to read all of your comments...and definitely put a smile on my face. :-)
  • @emmarie, I think the textbook, but totally unhelpful answer is, "It is not unexpected, but every recovery is different". If you are concerned about replacing one vice with another, that is valid, but a sweets craving now is better than going back to the alcohol. If in a few months, after you have settled into normalcy with the sobriety, if you aren't liking the sweets intake, then I would say that is the time to start working it.

I am sure there are all kinds of sciency explanations for the sudden sweets craving. I'd say it is something as innocent as your taste buds and brain waking up after the numbing with the alcohol and certain things are tasting really good again. Or, perhaps the brain is just wanting SOMETHING in the evening, and candy is now the go to.
  • @enmarie... I found this information on the Livestrong website. I thought it might help you understand the sugar cravings:

The body converts alcohol, like other refined grains, directly to sugar, causing a spike in blood sugar levels and a commensurate insulin response to bring those levels back down. Following detox, a recovering alcoholic may find that he craves sweets and starchy foods more than he did before. This is the body’s response to its perceived insufficient blood sugar in the absence of alcohol. The acute sugar cravings should pass as other withdrawal symptoms fade, but the compulsion to eat sugary foods could remain well into an alcoholic’s recovery as a psychological replacement for alcohol. Sticking to your balanced diet plan and avoiding the early temptation to “medicate” against the loss of alcohol by binging on sugar should blunt the long-term effects of sugar craving as you progress through recovery.

https://www.livestrong.com/article/266762-diet-for-recovering-alcoholics/