Addiction is a chronic but treatable disease that can affect anyone and is marked by compulsively seeking out substances or difficulty controlling use of substances, even with the potential for harmful consequences.1
It’s possible for anyone to struggle with addiction or substance misuse, regardless of their upbringing, including people of various faiths such as Christianity. For those individuals, they may seek addiction treatment in a faith-based environment where they can receive spiritual support while they recover.
If you or a loved one is struggling with addiction and want to receive treatment in a faith-based program or Christian rehab center, this article will help you understand what faith-based and Christian rehabs are, what to look for in them, and how to find addiction treatment that aligns with your beliefs.
What is Christian Rehab?
Christian rehab centers combine traditional clinical support and evidence-based therapies with Christian values to help people in their recovery from substance use disorders (SUDs). Christian-based rehabs may also use Biblical principles and teachings to help guide the recovery process.
While there are facilities that focus specifically on Christian principles, some rehabs are faith-based or have a spiritual component, without being specific to Christianity or other religions.
For many people, spiritual practices (including Christian practices) help them to feel connected to something bigger and provide a sense of purpose and meaning. Spirituality is a broad term that isn’t necessarily associated with one religion and can include many perspectives.2
In spiritually-based addiction treatment programs, there is an emphasis on connecting to something bigger, often referred to as a “higher power.” This is particularly evident in 12-step recovery programs like Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) in which believing in a power greater than oneself is thought to help people maintain sobriety.6
Why Choose a Christian Rehab?
Choosing to enter any kind of addiction treatment is a courageous first step toward recovery. For many people, seeking out Christian rehabs and other faith-based treatment may help them feel more connected to their faith while in the recovery process. It may also provide a safe environment to continue practicing their spiritual beliefs during treatment.
Potential benefits of choosing a Christian-based drug rehab may include:
- Community support from like-minded staff and people in treatment.
- Therapy from Christian counselors.
- Receive Biblical teaching and inspiration.
- Emphasis on forgiveness.
- Prayer and support.
How Do Christian Rehab Facilities Work?
Christian rehabs are designed to treat the physical, psychological, and spiritual needs of a person in recovery to help them heal and recover from substance misuse. Like other types of addiction treatment, effective faith-based programs are those that treat the whole person and their needs including:3
Christian-based programs typically provide many of the same services and amenities as other treatment programs with an emphasis on Christian principles. Services included in various treatment programs may include:3
- Behavioral therapies.
- Medication (for recovery from certain substances).
- Co-occurring mental healthcare and support.
- Aftercare and relapse prevention.
Types of Christian Rehab Centers
Many addiction treatment services are offered in both inpatient and outpatient settings. There are also inpatient and outpatient treatment facilities that focus on faith-based programs. The following sections discuss various types of Christian rehab centers to consider.
Christian Inpatient Drug Rehab
Inpatient drug and alcohol treatment is that in which a person remains in the facility overnight to receive 24-hour support and medical attention depending on the person’s level of care.3
These levels of inpatient care can include:7
- Inpatient residential services: Can include clinically-managed or medically-monitored care at various intensities with 24-hour care.
- Medically-managed intensive inpatient services: Involves 24-hour care and attendance by nurses and physicians for people with severe/acute addiction related-problems and co-occurring conditions.
Christian Outpatient Drug Rehab
Outpatient treatment typically includes a variety of services for people who visit the facility on a daily or weekly basis depending on their level of care and needs. Depending on the facility, outpatient treatment can include behavioral counseling, detox, 12-step facilitation, and medication.3
Outpatient levels of care can include:
- Intensive outpatient services: 9 or more hours a week of treatment.
- Partial hospitalization services: 20 or more hours a week of treatment that doesn’t necessitate 24-hour care.
What Types of Therapies Are Offered in Christian Rehab?
Christian-based drug rehab centers offer a number of behavioral therapies to help address people’s attitudes toward substance use, encourage healthy life skills, and continue treatment and recovery for the long-term.4
Some of the common behavioral therapies (used alone or in combination with medications) used in treatment programs are:5
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT): Designed to modify harmful beliefs and behaviors.
- Contingency management (CM) or Motivational Incentives (MI): Voucher or prized based to encourage a person in recovery and reinforce positive behaviors and decisions.
- Motivational Enhancement Therapy (MET): Counseling that helps people overcome feelings of resistance toward treatment and stopping substance use.
- 12-Step facilitation groups (e.g., Alcoholics/Narcotics Anonymous): Groups that help people connect with others struggling with addiction to encourage sobriety and recovery.
- Family Behavior Therapy: Designed to address co-occurring problems related to family conflict and other disorders. This typically involves the recovering person and a person in their family or who they cohabitate with.
What to Look for in a Christian Rehab
When searching for a Christian-based rehab program it’s important to consider the treatment center’s philosophy and values. Ensuring these values align with yours may help you feel more at ease when receiving care.
As with other types of treatment, it’s important to find Christian rehab that tailors treatment to your individual needs and level of care. Factors that may help you choose a Christian rehab include:
- Types of treatment offered such as inpatient services, detox, therapy, and outpatient programs.
- Payment options (sliding scale, grants, scholarships, financing).
- Types of behavioral therapies offered and if counselors are aligned with your belief system.
- Faith-based support groups.
- Credentials and certifications of treatment professionals and the facility as a whole.
- Aftercare planning.
- Treatment for co-occurring mental health conditions.
How Do I Find Christian Rehabs Near Me?
When searching for a Christian rehab, it’s important to look for facilities that align with your beliefs in addition to offering services that meet your needs. To find the right treatment, here are a few tips:
- Speak to your doctor about your struggles with substance use and ask for suggestions on where to receive treatment.
- If you are part of a faith community, speak with a trusted advisor or person in that community that can offer support and suggestions about Christian addiction treatment.
- Contact faith-based treatment centers to discuss options.
You can also contact the caring admissions navigators at American Addiction Centers who are available 24/7 at 1-888-319-2606 Helpline Information to help you find treatment that meets your needs. AAC has a number of facilities that offer faith-based programs to support your recovery. They can also help you verify your benefits so you know if your insurance covers Christian rehab centers.
You are never too old to improve your health and quality of life!