Acccused of stealing mom's Oxycodone and I'm innocent!

Hi! First, thank you for taking the time to read this. I am a recovering pain pill addict with 3.5 years of sobriety and 5 years in recovery. Last Tuesday my mom called me at 5am and accused me of stealing 11 days worth of her Oxycodone. She said it was taken sometime since she got her monthly prescription filled which she says was 8 days prior. She called me some really horrible things and said she feels sorry for my 3 month old son since he has me for a mother. She has been taking up to 6 pills of oxycodone a day for years, along with valium and drinks a bottle of wine almost every night. My parents think I stole the medication because I have a key to their house and my history of addiction with pain pills. The thing is while I was actively using I never stole anything from them so I don't understand why they think I would now. They even changed the locks to their house! My husband can always tell if I have taken any type of opioid and he agrees that their is no way that it was me. I offered to take a drug test but my mom said she wouldn't believe it if it was negative which it would have been. Additionally, my 27 year old brother and his girlfriend live in my parents basement and both have a history of moderate drug use. My dad said it couldn't have been them because they don't like that "type of high" and because my father said he has a "bait drug" in the house that they like and know about. I am not sure how much of this has to do with my parents coming to terms with their shortcomings during my childhood since I just became a parent a few months ago. My childhood was filled with emotional and verbal abuse from my dad who is bipolar and was not diagnosed until I was in college. It has now been 5 days since I have spoken with my Mom and I can't remember the last time we went that long without talking. This hurts tremendously because my mom no longer respects or trusts me for something I didn't even do. I am all cried out over this. I became so upset and hysterical trying to convince them of my innocence that I became physically ill and started vomiting. Any advice and support would be much appreciated! Thank you!
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • @butterfly423 hello and welcome. i'm sorry you are going through this. first, i want to congratulate you on your clean time...that's a wonderful accomplishment! and congrats on your baby!! sounds like you are really doing well!! :)  

i'm sure it is tough to be accused of this....and to know that your mom is upset with you and doesn't believe you... that hurts for sure.  i think if it were me, i'd have to lovingly detach and do my best at not thinking about it. i'd offer my mother the truth and then i'd have to let it go and refuse to continue to defend myself. if your mom is an addict or alcoholic, she's operating from that frame of mind.... and she may very well be projecting a lot of emotions onto you... i know that sucks, but it does happen.

i wish i had some excellent advice. i know it's hard to be at odds with a parent. we want so badly for our parents to approve of us...and that goes all the way back to childhood.

keep self-love in mind.... love yourself. you did nothing wrong..you are not a bad person or a bad daughter. try not to let the accusations take root... nurture yourself. pray/meditate... and take care of you. keep taking care of you and your family.... 

hope this helps... sending big hug.
  • @butterfly423... Welcome to the community. I, too, am sorry you're going through this. Unfortunately, a person's past can sometimes make it easy for someone to blame them for something. It's not right or fair, but it happens. 

It sounds to me like you tried your best to clear yourself of your mom and dad's accusations. If they aren't willing to give you that chance, then I think you'll just have to accept that and try to move on. In time, perhaps the truth will come out. 

Dominica has made some excellent suggestions. Practice self-care. Pray and meditate. And take comfort in knowing that you know the truth.

We're here for you if you need help or support, so don't hesitate to reach out and lean on us. Anytime.

Love and light to you.