Staying Hopeful After a Failed Intervention

Interventions can be great tools, when they are effective. However, that is not always the case. Sometimes an intervention will not go as you planned, and the addict may end up worse for the experience. It is hard not to come down on yourself when something like this happens, but you have to remain hopeful. You also need to keep in mind that this is not your fault. It's just that the addict was not ready to accept help at this point.

Here are a few ways you can keep yourself hopeful after your loved one decided not to get the help you wanted them to.

Take the time that you have now to prepare for when the addict does decide that he or she is ready to get help. Gather up materials, resources, and places where the addict could turn to break free from the addiction they have become a slave to.

Get yourself some counseling to be able to better handle the situation in the future. This will allow you to work out the negative emotions you are feeling, and come to grips with the choices that the addict has made, and may continue to make. The more help you have, the more hope you can have that the addict will come around in the future.

Envelop yourself into a new hobby. Find something that distracts you, and make use of your idle time doing that instead of feeling bad. The more you can stay productive, the more you will be able to focus on the potential of the future instead of the misgivings of the past.

Resource

"What If the Intervention Fails?" DrugAddicted.org (Website). Accessed on July 19, 2015.
  • 1 Commentby Likes|Date
  • I agree. Staying hopeful and keeping faith is one of the most important things in this process. To be able to continue your daily life without it dragging you into a deep dark pit is also important. I like the idea of taking up a new hobby. 
    I also think engaging with other people in the same situation is also a good thing and can help.