Important Points to Remember When Staging an Intervention

An intervention is often a make-or-break event when it comes to someone getting clean and sober. If done right, it can be the perfect inspiration that an addict needs to go in and get help for his or her addiction. However, if done wrong, it has the potential to scare a person away from wanting help, or rebelling against the point of the intervention, simply because the addiction tells them to do so. Here are a few things to keep in mind if you are planning an intervention for someone you care about.

1. Likely the most important thing about an intervention is that you refrain from pointing blame at the addict. You want to let them know you want the best for them, and want them to get help, without calling them out as failures for their addiction.
2. You should practice your main points before the intervention begins. This will typically help you keep yourself on the right track during the intervention.
3. Involve only necessary people. If someone only wants to be there to antagonize the addict, it is going to increases the chances that the intervention will fail. Avoid adding in anyone that isn’t going to be able to stay on point and keep calm.
4. Make the choice of time, place, and conversation well ahead of time, with the addict in mind. You want a time and place that are going to help the addict remain calm, but allow them to be open to listening to what you have to say.
5. Be understanding that even with the best approach, you may still be met with a very unhappy and uncooperative addict at the end of the day.

Reference

N.A. “10 Tips on Holding an Intervention.” Intervention Support (Website). (2015).
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • All good points to consider, while preparing for an intervention, thank you. 

I think especially important is point two because the situation may become overwhelming.  You want to remain focused to ensure you are able to express concern in a construction fashion, without becoming distracted. 

Planning ahead for various denial scenario's will provide a better chance for success.  I wish everyone the very best when going through an intervention.  I know, it can be a emotionally draining experience for everyone.

• I think that point about not pointing blame at the addict is huge. You don't want the individual that you're staging the intervention for to think that it's all a big personal attack. I think if things come across in a combative manner, the addict is more likely to get upset and not be receptive to the reasons why the intervention is being staged. If you keep blame out of it, and express genuine concern, I think there's more likelihood of a successful intervention occurring.