What Not to Do During an Intervention

Interventions are never going to be a comfortable situation for the person being confronted. Interventions often are a cause of stress, resentment, fear and anger. For this reason, there are several things you should never do during an intervention.

You never want to confront someone for an intervention when they are not sober. The intent is to pick a time when the person can listen and understand. It would do no good to try and have an intervention with someone drunk or high. And since an intervention is probably going to make that person uncomfortable, do not try and have one in a public place. It’s best to have a place picked out that’s private.

Another thing to remember is that an intervention is an emotional event. This is not a time to yell and throw blame at someone. The best way to make sure you are speaking calmly and keeping your composure is to write down what you want to say. Everyone involved should have what they want to say down in writing. Writing down not only keeps emotions under control but ensures that no subjects are left out.

Young children do not have a place in an intervention unless they are directly affected. Young children often do not know what is taking place. If a child is to be included, make sure they have some idea of what to expect. If emotions do run high, a child might be scared and cause the intervention to stop.

Lastly is the decision to have a professional attend the intervention. Many people debate this. A professional may be able to guide the intervention in a productive way, but may also deter everyone from opening up. It’s a good idea to have the group meet with a professional prior to the intervention for advice and wisdom.

Reference

N.A. “How To Do An Intervention.” Cleanandsoberlive.com (Website). (2015).
  • 2 Commentsby Likes|Date
  • Great points here, because some people tend to involve children in interventions, and doing it with the party is drunk. but arguing that they have grown old enough to understand the situation, when is precisely the growing up time the stage of life where children tend to be more sensitive to problems surrounding them.
  • Good advice. I actually had no idea people would think to include young children in an intervention, it seems like a disaster waiting to happen.

I can definitely see how writing things down would help, though. I had to confront someone about something a few months ago (not drug-related) and I made sure to write the issues out first. It really helped keep my head in order.